To re-establish Mother Mary Mission as a Community hub for social, educational, housing and economic endeavors.The present board of the Mother Mary Mission Incorporated’s aim and purpose for existence is to continue the work started by the Vincentian Sisters of Charity and Salvatoran Priest and Brothers.
Mother Mary Mission School originated from a ten-room house, started by Vincentian Sister of Charity from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Their mission was to open an educational facility for black children in the South. It was originally situated on nearly three acres on Seale Road in Phenix City, Alabama.
The Mother Mary Mission Development is a multi-million-dollar redevelopment of the area surrounding the southeast corner of the Hwy 280 and Seale Road.
The project is designed to repurpose a once thriving Catholic Institution – school, church, and community center- into a female homeless veterans’ home, child development center while re-engaging the community to facilitate growth as a community center focused on social, educational, sports, healthcare, and entertainment activities. It is designed to reinvest in a distressed community while creating businesses, jobs and other economic opportunities.
The project development area is located on approximately 7 acres of land. It is fifteen minutes from Fort Benning, two minutes from the central business district in Phenix City, AL and five minutes from Downtown Columbus, GA businesses and attractions.
Future Plans and Vision
Future plans include:
- The Convent Project – revitalizing and repurposing the old convent
- Developing the Community Resource Center
- Continue to expand social sports and activities in the Gymnasium
- Restore and Revitalize the physical plant of Mother Mary Mission
- Re-establish Mother Mary Mission as a community hub providing social, educational, and developmental activities
- Create economic opportunities through Employment and Business Growth in Phenix City
- Develop a Veterans’ Home for homeless female veterans
- Grow the church
- Partner with other non-profits to provide valuable services to an otherwise-underserved community
- Projected as a Four-Phase Project:
- Restore The Church and Reopen For Services- Completed
- Install A/C In Gym – Completed
- Restore and Repurpose The Convent as a Veterans Home –Working
- Restore and Repurpose The School Buildings as a Community Resource Center – Working
- Establish a Legends Hall of Fame For The Community- Completed
- Build Playground